April showers bring cozy recipes to cuddle up with like this Cozy Turmeric Black Eyed Pea Stew. This is a curry-inspired stew that is full of hearty ingredients and plenty of fiber to keep you completely satiated. The unique blend of turmeric, paprika, cumin, and chipotle pepper creates an explosive flavor for this savory dish.
Black eyed peas are often overlooked. They pack a large amount of nutrients in one little package. Just one cup of cooked black eyed peas contains a whopping 11 grams of fiber and 13 grams of protein. Not to mention they are an excellent source of folate, thiamin, iron, magnesium, phosphorous, copper, and manganese. Pair that with the many health benefits of herbs and spices and we have a power dish.
Typically when we think of the powerful effects of food, we think about the array of vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients that we can get from fruits and veggies. But the wonderful world of herbs and spices quite often gets forgotten about. Many cultures that include a variety of herbs and spices in their diets have seen powerful health benefits. Turmeric is a staple in South Asian dishes for centuries. It has been shown to reduce inflammation in a number of chronic disease and may aid in digestive disorders. It’s commonly used for teas, tonics, skin creams, and more.
These chipotle peppers are so damn good that I had to give it some photo love while taking shots of the recipe (this is not sponsored LOL). I love how much flavor they pack in just one little can, and at such an affordable price. I practically find any excuse to add these to recipes.
Ok- so let’s get things started. Heat the oil in a medium pot or pan, and add the onions and garlic. Sauté this up until fragrant and then add your turmeric, paprika, and cumin. Sauté all ingredients together for 1-2 minutes over low heat. Add the tomato sauce, water, and black eyed peas and stir together. Allow this all to cook for about five minutes. Scoop out 1 cup of the stew, add it to a blender or food processor with the chipotle pepper, and blend until you have a consistent puree and add it back to the pot, stir in well, and cook for another 7-10 minutes over low heat. Top with fresh cilantro and turmeric. Enjoy with your favorite whole grain! We enjoyed ours with brown rice.
Are you inspired to whip up this Cozy Turmeric Black Eyed Pea Stew? Toss us a comment below and let us know what you think! Also, let us know how you enjoy using turmeric!
Cozy Turmeric Black Eyed Pea Stew
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups black eyed peas, cooked
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- Optional: Fresh cilantro
- Start by heating the oil in a medium pot or pan, and add the onions and garlic
- Sauté until fragrant and then add the turmeric, paprika, and cumin
- Sauté all ingredients together for 1-2 minutes over low heat
- Add the tomato sauce, water, and black eyed peas and stir together. Cook for 5 minutes
- Scoop out 1 cup of the stew, add it to a blender or food processor with the chipotle pepper, and blend until you have a consistent puree
- Add it back to the pot, stir in well, and cook for another 7-10 minutes over low heat
- Top with fresh cilantro and turmeric. Enjoy with your favorite whole grain!
Food Heaven Made Easy http://www.foodheavenmadeeasy.com/