Breakfast is no longer boring thanks to these Vegan Black Bean Chilaquiles! I usually whip them up on weekends when I have some extra time in the kitchen. The chipotle in adobo and fresh jalapeños add a splash of spice that’s balanced out perfectly with the tortillas. Pair with fresh cilantro and scallions, and you’ve got yourself a winner.
We used cashews instead of cheese and cream in the sauce for a lighter, plant-based alternative. When blended up, they make the sauce deliciously creamy. They’ll also add some phenomenal nutrients like healthy fats, magnesium, copper, and iron. To optimize creaminess, soak the cashews for about 2-3 hours, first.
Black beans are an excellent source of plant-based protein, fiber, B vitamins, potassium, iron, and other minerals. They can also be extremely cost effective. For example, buying dry beans can seriously stretch the food dollar, as they cost only pennies per serving. This can take some time to prep so we totally encourage canned beans, too. Just make sure to buy low-sodium canned beans and to rinse twice before using to remove that extra sodium. Feel free to add in your favorite legumes in there too (ie chickpeas, lentils, red beans, or black eyed peas).
For this recipe, start by soaking the cashews in water for 2-3 hours. Next, pour out the water, and add the cashews, tomato sauce, and chipotle pepper to a blender. Blend up until smooth and set aside. On a skillet, heat the olive oil, and add the onions and peppers. Sauté over medium heat for 1-2 minutes and then pour in the sauce, and add in the black beans. Stir together and cook over low heat for 4-5 minutes. Then stir in the nachos, cook for another minute and remove from the heat. You want them to soften up a bit with the sauce, but still remain their crispness. Top with fresh cilantro, fresh onions, and/or avocado.
These Vegan Black Bean Chilaquiles are simple, healthy, and a sure fire way to make the most out of breakfast (or any meal, really). Whip em up and let us know what you think below!
Vegan Black Bean Chilaquiles
- 1/2 cup cashews , soaked 2-3h
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, de-seeded & chopped
- 1 cup black beans
- 2 cups nacho chips
- Cilantro, fresh onion, and/or sliced avocado
- Start by soaking the cashews in water for 2-3 hours
- Pour out the water, and add the cashews, tomato sauce, and chipotle pepper to a blender
- Blend until smooth and set aside
- On a skillet, heat the olive oil, and add the onions and peppers. Sauté over medium heat for 1-2 minutes
- Then pour in the sauce, and add in the black beans. Stir together and cook over low heat for 4-5 minutes
- Stir in the nachos, cook for another minute and remove from the heat
- Top w/ cilantro, fresh onions, and/or avocado. Enjoy!
Food Heaven Made Easy http://www.foodheavenmadeeasy.com/