Consider this the only vegan alfredo sauce you need.
It’s the perfect dairy-free alternative to classic alfredo sauce! Plus, just 7 ingredients and 30 minutes required. Let’s do this!
The base of this alfredo is quick-soaked cashews in very hot water so they soften quickly. Then it’s a matter of flavor: nutritional yeast for cheesiness, garlic for kick and depth of flavor, salt for saltiness, and a bit of almond milk for texture. Arrowroot powder adds thickness and helps the sauce get a bit “stringy” like real cheese!
I hope you all enjoy this aflredo sauce! It’s:
Fast & Easy
& Incredibly delicious
This would make the perfect sauce for zucchini noodle pasta or your favorite pasta (I prefer gluten-free fusilli!). Top with Slow Roasted Tomatoes for even more flavor! This sauce could also pair well with baked lasagnas, served with my Eggplant Parmesan, or even used as a white sauce on pizzas.
For more Italian-inspired dishes, check out our Simple Chickpea Bolognese, Eggplant Lasagna Roll-Ups, Easy Vegan Pizza, Spicy Red Lentil Pasta, and Vegan Pesto Parmesan Breadsticks!
If you try this recipe, let us know by leaving a comment and/or rating, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
30-Minute Cashew Alfredo
Creamy, saucy cashew alfredo in 30 minutes! The perfect plant-based sauce for all your pasta night needs.
Author: Minimalist Baker
Recipe type: Sauce
Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-Free, Italian-Inspired
Serves: 6 (1/4 cup servings)
- 1 1/4 cups (150 g) raw cashews, soaked
- 1 Tbsp (7 g) arrowroot starch
- 3-4 Tbsp (9-12 g) nutritional yeast
- 2-3 cloves garlic, crushed (~1 1/2 Tbsp or 9g)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1-2 Tbsp (5-10 g) vegan parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) unsweetened plain almond or rice milk, plus more as needed
FOR SERVING optional
- Soak cashews in very hot water for 20 minutes. Then drain and add to a high-speed blender.
- To blender, also add arrowroot starch (for thickening), nutritional yeast, garlic, sea salt, vegan parmesan cheese, and unsweetened dairy-free milk.
- Blend on high until creamy and smooth, scraping down sides as needed. Taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding more garlic for kick/zing, nutritional yeast or vegan parmesan cheese for cheesy flavor, salt for saltiness, or almond milk if too thick.
- Transfer to a rimmed skillet and cook over medium-low to medium heat for 5 minutes, whisking frequently. The sauce should thicken and bubble. Add more dairy-free milk as needed to thin. Then it’s ready to serve!
- Enjoy with zucchini noodles or your favorite pasta. It could even be enjoyed layered in lasagna! Top with additional Vegan Parmesan Cheese and Roasted Tomatoes for more flavor.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate for 1 of 6 (1/4 cup) servings calculated without additional toppings / garnishes or pasta.
Serving size: 1/4 (1 of 6 servings) Calories: 166 Fat: 12.7 g Saturated fat: 2.5 g Carbohydrates: 10.8 g Sugar: 1.4 g Sodium: 176 mg Fiber: 1.3 g Protein: 4.8 g