Disclosure: This post is sponsored by The Quaker Oats Company, but all opinions are our own.
What’s better than a comforting, home-cooked breakfast on those lazy weekend mornings? Today we’re bringing you these insanely delicious Savory Scallion Cheddar Oat Waffles, for those mornings when you just want to stay home and chill. From the title alone, you can catch that there’s a few twists we added to this recipe. For one, we’re going the savory route, using cheddar cheese and scallions.
We’re also making these with Quaker Old Fashioned Oats vs. the traditional wheat flour. Oats are a whole grain that supplies 4 grams of fiber per serving, plus thiamine, phosphorus, and magnesium. The fiber in oats may help support a healthy digestive system, and the soluble fiber specifically, may help slow digestion, helping you feel full. We use oats in so many of our recipes because aside from being convenient and affordable, they’re also super versatile. You can use them in savory recipes like this one, or in baked goods, casseroles, smoothies, and so much more!
In case you missed it, we recently went on a Seed to Spoon journey to learn more about how Quaker Oats are harvested and made. We were already sold on oats, but this trip really sealed the deal for us. We learned about what makes Quaker Oats so top-notch when it comes to quality, and met with one of their Direct Growers to learn more about the harvesting process. If you want to read up on our experience (and see photos!), check out the post here.
Now for today’s recipe…let’s get into it! Start by adding the oats to a blender, and blend until flour-like consistency is reached. In a bowl, mix together the oat flour, baking powder, and salt. Then add the egg, milk, and olive oil to the same bowl, and whisk together until you have a consistent batter. Add in the cheese, scallions, and paprika, and continue whisking. Let sit for 15 minutes, until the batter thickens up. Add the batter to an oiled waffle maker, and allow to cook for 5-7 minutes, or until golden and the edges are firm. You want the waffles to be slightly crisp but tender. Repeat with the remaining batter. Enjoy with your favorite breakfast toppings! Ideas include eggs, avocado, and fresh scallions!
This recipe makes 2 large round waffles. If you have leftovers, you can store them in the refrigerator for up to one week. Just pop in the oven to reheat. Now we want to hear from you! Have you tried savory waffles before? What are your favorite add-on’s? Let us know in the comments below!
Savory Scallion Cheddar Oat Waffles
- 3/4 cup Quaker rolled oats
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup unsweetened nut milk
- 2 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons shredded mild cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons scallions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- Add the oats to a blender, and blend until flour-like consistency is reached
- In a bowl, mix together the oat flour, baking powder, and salt
- Then add the egg, milk, and olive oil to the same bowl, and whisk together until you have a consistent batter
- Add in the cheese, scallions, and paprika, and continue whisking
- Let sit for 15 minutes, until the batter thickens up
- Add the batter to an oiled waffle maker and allow to cook for 5-6 minutes, or until golden and the edges are firm. You want the waffles to be slightly crisp but tender
- Repeat with the remaining batter
- Enjoy with your favorite breakfast toppings! Ideas include eggs, avocado, and fresh scallions!
- This recipe yields 2 round waffles
- Leftovers? You can store these in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Just pop in the oven to re-heat
Food Heaven Made Easy http://www.foodheavenmadeeasy.com/